Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Bill Mill on decorators

Bill Mill chimes in on decorators:
Please leave the decorators to other people, and write your code without the sugar. Make the world just a little bit simpler.
I don't go as far as he did, and I suspect it's because we're each seeing a different part of the decorator elephant. It sounds like his reaction is more like my initial reaction (lost to the maelstrom of a PyDS bug) to metaclasses: "Leave metaclasses to the folks who need them."

And my reaction to his comment is the same one that someone made to me: "Who are the 'other people' to whom I should leave them?"

My only, weak answer was, "If you think you need one, you don't. If you know you need one, why are you taking advice from me?" The similarities are making me think there's something significant and common to both cases, but I haven't figured out what it is yet.

No comments: